The Importance of Cleaning your Solar Panels to Save on Overall Energy Costs
While solar panels have been around for quite some time now, it isn’t until recent years that they have really started to catch on as a means for efficient energy conservation. Today solar panels are used for a variety of uses sitting atop city buildings and on roadside signs. They are even used to power large spacecraft type vehicles, which is pretty astonishing if you really think about it.
How do Solar Panels Actually Work?
Solar panels work to serve a simple function; effectively curbing the drain on energy related resources that we require to get through our daily lives. If you do not know much about them, you are probably asking yourself how they work.
Solar panels work by encouraging photons, or particles of light, to release electrons from their atoms, which produces a successful flow of electricity. Solar panels are actually made up minor elements known as photovoltaic cells. These cells go to work to take the incoming sunlight and transform it into electricity. When a plethora of these cells come together, you then have an effective solar panel.
In order to work properly, the photovoltaic cells need to build up an electric field similar to a magnetic field, resulting from the opposition of poles. An electric field will occur when inverse charges are isolated. To get this effect, makers “dope” silicon with different materials, giving each cut of the solar panels makeup a positive or negative electrical charge.
In particular, they feed useful elements like phosphorous into the upper layer of the silicon, which includes additional electrons with a negative charge to that layer. In the meantime, the base layer gets a designated amount of boron that brings about less electrons, or a more positive charge. This all ends in an electric field at the intersection between the silicon layers. At that point, when a photon of daylight thumps an electron free, the electric field will push that electron out of the silicon intersection. Two or three different segments of the cell transform these electrons into usable, effective power. Metal conductive plates on the sides of the cell gather the electrons and exchange them between wires. By then, the electrons can stream like any other wellspring of electricity.
There are different sorts of sun based power innovation — including solar thermal and concentrated sun power, also known as CSP. They work in an alternate form than photovoltaic sun based boards, yet all outfit the force of daylight to either make power, electricity, or to effectively heat air or water for the home.
Who uses Solar Power/Energy?
As I mentioned before, utilizing some type of solar apparatus to power your home or business is perhaps the best way to combat and possibly eliminate those costly energy bills we dread each month. Currently, in worldly statistics Germany leads the way in the amount of energy they collect through the use of different solar energy collectors. Italy and China are not far behind, with the USA currently holding the number four position.
Let us take a look at the five most common uses for solar power:
- Solar powered transportation – The photovoltaic energy that I mentioned previously is the leader in supplying power to a wide array of different types of vehicles. Subways, railroads, bus systems, plane, and cars can all operate efficiently through the use of solar power. Even road systems can benefit here. With a growth in the need for renewable resources, solar powered transit is perhaps one of the best ways to begin cutting down on harmful energy emissions which is growing in necessity every day. In fact, recently a solar powered-aircraft known as Solar Impulse 2 successfully made its way completely around the world, making for a series of some pretty impressive photographs. Simply put, solar powered transit is the way of the future.
- Solar Tech – The tech world is definitely upon us and I do not think it is going to slow down anytime soon. That is why manufactures have begun producing solar power modules for anything from cell phones, speakers, wearables like the fitbit, solar dryers, solar air conditioning, tablets, thermostats etc. Not only is this great for the environment, but it is actually more convenient for tech users as well as they do not always require an outlet to charge their phones, tablets, etc.
- Solar lighting – This is perhaps the most common use of solar power. In addition, it is one of the ways to make your home more efficient. Solar lighting is easy to set up. The solar panels are completely wireless, and work effectively to collect sunlight during the daytime. This eliminates the need for grid-supplied power during the evening hours. Much like LED lightbulbs and other earth friendly products being released recently, solar panels are quickly growing in popularity. Solar lighting can both make your home more efficient and save you money; and who doesn’t want that?
- Solar heating – Solar water heaters and solar space heaters are unheard of to a lot of folks, however they are a very simple system that doesn’t require the installation of large solar panels. Solar space heaters utilize liquid air as a type of medium that harnesses the sunlight and successfully converts it into thermal energy. Solar water heaters are different as they use water to as a means of thermal transfer. One of the major benefits of using thermal energy is that it is cost effective and it can heat your home successfully without the high-energy bills. It can even be efficient in heating your entire swimming pool. In fact, solar pool heating is actually the most cost-effective method.
- Rooftop solar panels – Installing solar panels on the roof of your home can revolutionize the way you live. With tons of tech items coming out every day, it is easy to overlook the most common/useful use of solar panels. Rooftop solar panels can effectively save the homeowner hundreds to thousands of dollars every year. Rooftop solar panels are a great way to reduce our carbon footprint and draw in efficient energy that will not harm the environment.
Why Should You Clean your Solar Panels for Optimum Energy Efficiency
Generally speaking, solar panels are self-cleaning. However, there are outdoor elements related to nature and the weather that can gunk buildup on your solar panels making them less efficient. Contrary to what you might think, your entire solar panel system does not have to be covered in dirt, grime, and bird droppings to be less effective. Smaller areas covered in gunk can have a negative impact on their overall success. Find out more about Solar Panel Cleaning.
Cleaning Tips and Tricks
For your personal well-being, it is strongly recommended that you clean the panels from the ground whenever possible. A decent quality delicate brush and a squeegee equipped with a plastic cutting edge on one side, and a fabric secured wipe on the other combined with a long extension pole can make for the ideal instruments permitting you to remain on the ground. Utilize a hose with an appropriate spout to permit the surge of water to begin removing gunk off the boards. If cleaning your boards from the ground is unrealistic, don’t attempt to get to get onto the roof before you obtain the proper hardware, equipment, and proper preparation. In the event that you don’t; in this situation, you should consider hiring a professional. When you are properly prepared, it is smart to clean your sun powered boards on a cloudy day, in the early hours of the morning or at night. On the off chance that the sun is shining brightly on the solar panel boards, any water utilized will rapidly vanish and all soil and grime will spread further over the boards.
The early morning can be an especially ideal time for cleaning, as any dew that has settled on the boards overnight will probably have diminished grime; which means you’ll have to utilize less water and less effort to clean your sunlight based boards. On the off chance that the boards are completely dry when you go to clean them, before handling the modules with water, forget about any free materials first – this will make cleaning less demanding and speedier.
Try to stay away from utilizing metal or abrasive cleaning items for expelling stuck on material. Scratching the glass on a solar panel can negatively influence its execution, as scratches will cast shadows. Abstain from utilizing harsh cleansers if possible as these may mark the glass of the solar panel. Utilization of rough powders additionally increases the risks of permanently scratching the solar panel boards. Given that your solar panels are good quality, clean water and a touch of scouring with a coarse fabric wipe or delicate brush ought to be able to expel the most resolute grime. Plastic scourers may likewise be utilized. In the event that your water is hard or mineral-rich and soft water is accessible; utilize the hard water as a last resort; then squeegee dry. In the event that hard water is all you have, simply make sure to squeegee well as mineral-rich water can frame grime on glass as it dries, making it even more difficult to remove in the future.
The Bottom Line?
If all of this sounds intimidating, don’t worry. Whether you don’t have the proper equipment or know how, or if you just want to ensure that you get your panels cleaned to the best of your ability, there are plenty of professionals out there that will come out and assess the condition of your solar panels as well as what the best methods for cleaning them are going to be. They are trained and experienced in carefully removing the gunk that can lessen your solar panels ability to work as efficiently as possible. In addition, they come out with all their own equipment so you don’t have to worry about providing them with any necessities. A simple google search or a quick flip through your local yellow or white pages should connect you with any and all solar panel cleaning companies. Make sure to maintain your solar panels throughout the year, so you are reaping their full benefit.
Brisbane Window & Solar Panel Cleaning
Brisbane Window & Solar Panel Cleaning
Brisbane Window & Solar Panel Cleaning is a professional cleaning company providing Commercial and Residential Window Cleaning Brisbane, Solar Panel Cleaning Brisbane and Gutter Cleaning Brisbane service. With years of experience and cutting-edge cleaning technologies, we aim to provide our customer with an amazing cleaning experience at a very competitive price. As Brisbane’s #1 window cleaner, we guarantee complete satisfaction in all we do – or your money back. Check our limited time Solar Panel Cleaning offer Now and get the most from your solar panels!